Wednesday, August 01, 2012

ART DIRECTION ON KICK BUTTOWSKI PART1

I had the greatest experience last year as Art Director on Kick Buttowski for Disney XD. Not only was it a great, talented crew, but I was given a lot of creative freedom to experiment. This episode found the two main characters Kick and Gunther in a water park and surrounding areas. The fun part for me was that the episode was basically broken up into 6 areas, allowing me to give each location is own color palette. I find it really exciting to be able to bring color into storytelling. It's subtle in the final version of the cartoon, but I think the strong design of each area in addition to the varied color we gave each scene made for a nice overall look.



I started with a color script that gave the basic shapes of each important scenes. After I was happy with the color I was able to bring that to the background painters and direct them in creating the finished backgrounds.

No comments: